Where next for Chelsea’s Delap and can he bounce back?

This post was originally published on this site.

Where next for Chelsea’s Delap and can he bounce back?

Liam Delap slaps hands with his team-mate Nicolas Jackson after scoring for Chelsea in pre-seasonImage source, Getty Images
By

Football reporter
  • Published

Chelsea striker Liam Delap is being allowed to leave the club just 14 months after moving to Stamford Bridge.

The 23-year-old was making his Premier League debut for the club at this stage last year after joining from Ipswich Town when his £30m release clause was triggered.

Chelsea secured his signature amid competition from Manchester United, Newcastle and Everton but, after scoring just once in the league in the previous campaign, he has been deemed surplus to requirements.

Sources close to any potential move said interest has been limited, not because clubs doubt Delap’s ability and potential, but because his £50m asking price is viewed as too high following a difficult spell at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea have, however, shown a willingness to negotiate later in the transfer window. Defenders Benoit Badiashile and Axel Disasi are both leaving on loan despite the club initially attempting to sell them permanently.

It remains to be seen whether the club will reduce their demands for Delap, but they are expected to have three other strikers in their squad next season – Joao Pedro and new signings Emmanuel Emegha and Danny Welbeck.

Interest has been shown from Nottingham Forest and Leeds, although Daniel Farke’s side have since cooled theirs.

Those close to Delap have previously said he hoped to stay at Chelsea and prove himself.

He is understood to accept his form last season fell below expectations, although there were mitigating factors.

As the club endured a troubled campaign where they finished 10th in the table, Delap played under three different managers and suffered hamstring and shoulder injuries that affected his physical style of play and contributed to a loss of confidence.

His priority is to gain regular first-team football, whether on loan or in a permanent departure, although it remains unclear where he could end up.

To play this video you need to enable JavaScript in your browser.

This video can not be played

Difficult week for Delap – and others

As reported on Wednesday, Delap lost his number nine shirt to Joao Pedro, who largely excelled at his expense last season after joining from Brighton in the same transfer window.

It followed the Englishman’s move to a group of around 12 players who train separately, albeit alongside new manager Xabi Alonso’s first-team squad, at their Cobham base.

For Alonso, the decision is understandable given the difficulties of working with a squad of around 40 players while preparing for his first competitive match at Fulham in the Premier League on Monday.

However, it was a blow to those players who knew their futures were uncertain, but had previously remained involved with the main training group.

The new arrangement, though, is designed to keep those players close to the first-team squad. Chelsea insist the system is fluid, pointing to new signings Jordan Henderson and Welbeck building fitness in the second group despite both being part of Alonso’s plans.

Chelsea were among the clubs to use a so-called “bomb squad” last season, effectively isolating a group of players that included Raheem Sterling and Disasi. Those players trained on a separate pitch, in a different area of the training ground and at a different time from the first team.

Several from that group publicly made negative comments about their treatment, while the Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA), the players’ union, warned Chelsea about the practice.

The approach has since been outlawed by Fifa.

Chelsea also said their decision to keep the current group close to the first team, using the same gym, changing facilities and dining areas, reflects a period of reflection on what had previously gone wrong.

The club are keen to address wider cultural issues that some sources have previously described as creating a “soulless” or “transactional” atmosphere behind the scenes.

Delap is not the only player facing an uncertain future. Also in the secondary group are Senegal striker Nicolas Jackson and defender Tosin Adarabioyo.

Tosin has also lost his number four shirt to new midfield signing Valentin Barco.

How are Chelsea coping with reducing squad size?

The reality of Chelsea‘s wider situation, though, is they need to be transactional as they look to reduce the size of their squad.

They have around 40 players and need to trim that number closer to a more traditional 25-man party, particularly in a season without European football.

They are beginning to make headway in finding moves for players beyond Delap.

Disasi, 28, has been given permission to travel for a medical with Crystal Palace amid ongoing negotiations over a loan deal.

Omari Kellyman and Deivid Washington are nearing moves to Chelsea‘s partner club Strasbourg, while Badiashile has undergone a medical at Napoli.

One loan place remains available at Strasbourg, with both Mykhailo Mudryk and Dario Essugo under consideration. However, both players are also attracting interest from Premier League clubs, while defender Mamadou Sarr is also expected to join another Premier League club on loan.

Adarabioyo, 28, is attracting interest from Benfica, Marseille and Premier League clubs.

Aston Villa are known to be interested in Jackson, but that will depend on the future of Ollie Watkins, while there remains some uncertainty over Enzo Fernandez, Pedro Neto and Malo Gusto despite their involvement in Alonso’s first-team squad.

It also remains unclear where Marc Guiu, David Datro Fofana and Caleb Wiley could end up, with all three available either on loan or as permanent transfers. Young Ecuadorian midfielder Kendry Paez is also expected to be recalled from River Plate and sent on loan elsewhere.

Hot this week

Topics

spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img