ECB investigating England bowler Brydon Carse for ‘nightclub incident’

This post was originally published on this site.

ECB investigates Carse ‘nightclub incident’

BySean Kearns

BBC Sport Senior Journalist
  • Published

England bowler Brydon Carse is under investigation after he was reportedly involved in an incident at a nightclub in Derby on Saturday, the England and Wales Cricket Board has confirmed.

Videos circulating on social media on Sunday appeared to show Carse in handcuffs, being led away from a club by four police officers.

The Durham bowler, who is in England’s squad for the second Test against Pakistan this week, was seen with team-mate Matthew Potts.

Carse, who is due to meet up with the squad on Monday, was not on England duty at the time of the reported incident.

“We are aware of an incident which is reported to have taken place in Derby last night, and are currently investigating,” an ECB statement read.

“We will provide a further update when possible.”

The ECB’s investigation comes five days after England captain Joe Root urged his players to be “really good role models and human beings” at the start of his second reign as Test captain.

“You always want to represent your country in the best possible light,” Root, 35, told BBC Sport.

“We might have fallen short of that on a few occasions in the recent past.

“The only thing we can do to rectify that is be really good role models, good human beings and put in really strong performances on the field.”

England have endured a summer of turmoil, with former captain Ben Stokes announcing a shock retirement from international cricket and Brendon McCullum sacked as Test coach.

Off-field issues dominated last winter’s tours, including an incident involving Harry Brook and a nightclub bouncer in Wellington and the team’s drinking during a mid-Ashes trip to Noosa, culminating in a heavy 4-1 defeat by Australia.

The issues continued into the summer when Stokes broke a team curfew, setting in motion a chaotic six weeks that resulted in a 2-1 series defeat by New Zealand, Stokes’ retirement and the sacking of McCullum.

Despite the issues, Root decided earlier this month to scrap the midnight curfew that was imposed in January.

Speaking to Sky Sports, Root said: “There’s not going to be a curfew. I don’t think this needs to be a big deal, to be honest.”

Carse, who was born in South Africa, was suspended from cricket for three months in 2024 for historic betting offences.

He was banned after putting 303 bets on matches between 2017 and 2019, though he was not involved in any of them.

More on this story

Hot this week

‘Up front next week?’ Guehi proves Maresca’s midfield masterstroke

Rather than playing safe in selecting his Manchester City side for the first time in the Premier League, Enzo Maresca made a bold choice in midfield. Ultimately, it paid off.

TechCrunch Mobility: The custom chip driving Waymo’s robotaxi ambitions

Welcome back to TechCrunch Mobility — your central hub...

Twelve-try Leeds crush York to top Super League

Twelve-try Leeds crush York to top Super LeagueByBen MarvellBBC...

Scottish climber completes ‘full house’ of 1,072 peaks around UK

The 38-year-old becomes one of just over 100 people who have stood on all 1,072 summits.

Topics

‘Up front next week?’ Guehi proves Maresca’s midfield masterstroke

Rather than playing safe in selecting his Manchester City side for the first time in the Premier League, Enzo Maresca made a bold choice in midfield. Ultimately, it paid off.

TechCrunch Mobility: The custom chip driving Waymo’s robotaxi ambitions

Welcome back to TechCrunch Mobility — your central hub...

Twelve-try Leeds crush York to top Super League

Twelve-try Leeds crush York to top Super LeagueByBen MarvellBBC...

Scottish climber completes ‘full house’ of 1,072 peaks around UK

The 38-year-old becomes one of just over 100 people who have stood on all 1,072 summits.

Thousands struggling without power in Indiana 12 days after severe storms

In the town of Gary, where a third of residents live in poverty, people say they have been living in "survival mode".

Newcastle and Liverpool united in tribute to legend Keegan

Both Newcastle and Liverpool pay tribute to their legendary player on the opening weekend of the Premier League season.

Newcastle and Liverpool united in tribute to legend Keegan

Newcastle and Liverpool united in tribute to legend KeeganImage...
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img