Mrs Brown’s Boys Christmas specials cancelled after star breaks jaw

This post was originally published on this site.

Mrs Brown’s Boys Christmas specials cancelled after star breaks jaw

ByPaul Glynn

Culture reporter
  • Published

Brendan O’Carroll, the star and creator of TV sitcom Mrs Brown’s Boys, has announced that the show’s planned Christmas and New Year specials have been cancelled because he needs an operation on a broken jaw.

The actor and writer, 70, said in a statement on Instagram, external on Monday that filming would no longer go ahead so he can have “immediate surgery”.

He wrote: “It is with sincere regret I must announce that due to an unexpected medical issue I will have to cancel the recordings of the 2026 Mrs Brown’s Boys Christmas and New Year’s Specials.

“Following a CT Scan, it was found that I had two fractures in my mandible (jaw) which requires immediate surgery and a few months recovery.”

O’Carroll added that he has been “talking with the BBC about getting Mrs. Brown’s Boys back on the screen in 2027”.

The long-running comedy series, which is filmed at the BBC Scotland studios in Glasgow, arrived on screens in 2011, starring O’Carroll as foul-mouthed Irish matriarch Agnes Brown.

Despite its many critics, the show remains a hit with viewers, winning multiple comedy prizes at the National Television Awards.

‘Agnes will be back’

The Irishman also confirmed that he would postpone his festive Mrs Brown’s Boys D’Panto? shows in Dublin and Killarney, with the aim of rescheduling them for 2027.

“This decision has not been taken lightly and has been made on medical advice from my consultant,” he said.

“To say I am heartbroken is an absolute understatement.

“I would like to sincerely apologise to all our fans who were looking forward to seeing the shows and for any disappointment caused.”

The actor and comedian said he was now focused on getting “back to full health”, adding: “I genuinely cannot wait to see you all again in 2027.

“Our fans mean the world to us, thank you from the bottom of my heart for your love and support and trust me Agnes Brown and her family will be back.”

He thanked production company MCD and the BBC for their “support and understanding at this difficult time”.

A BBC spokeswoman said: “We wish Brendan a full and speedy recovery and are working with him on plans for Mrs Brown’s Boys in 2027.”

Hot this week

Burnham exchanged messages with person posing as Trump’s chief of staff

Burnham exchanged messages with person posing as Trump's chief...

Pub planning protections will not stop closures, industry warns

Property developers will have to prove there is no...

Trump envoy Kushner meets Netanyahu after Hamas talks on peace plan

US President Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner is seeking to gain Israeli backing for the US-backed Gaza peace plan.

Man City move for £85m Bouaddi and still want Fernandez

Manchester City are in advanced talks with Lille over a move for Morocco midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi.

Cambridge chancellor criticises ‘racist feeding frenzy’ around Jason Arday

Jason Arday, the former University of Cambridge professor at the centre of a plagiarism row, was found dead last week.

Topics

spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img