Trump envoy Kushner meets Netanyahu after Hamas talks on peace plan

This post was originally published on this site.

Trump envoy Kushner meets Netanyahu after Hamas talks on peace plan

ByYolande KnellMiddle East correspondentReporting fromJerusalem and Helen Sullivan
  • Published

Donald Trump’s Middle East envoy Jared Kushner is meeting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the premier’s spokesperson has told the BBC.

Kushner arrived in Israel last night after holding rare talks with Hamas on Sunday to discuss the implementation of the US-backed Gaza peace plan.

Last week, Israel rejected Trump’s 15-point plan for peace, which also calls for Israeli troops to withdraw and for Gaza to be rebuilt under a new civilian Palestinian administration.

The rejection came after the president’s Board of Peace said it had reached an agreement for the “complete disarmament” of Hamas and other armed groups in Gaza last month.

Trump leads the Board of Peace, which was created as an international organisation originally intended to bring peace to Gaza, but later expanded to include conflicts worldwide.

According to Israeli media reports, Board of Peace envoys Nickolay Mladenov and Tony Blair are also meeting Netanyahu on Monday, with the aim of advancing Trump’s plan.

The Board of Peace wants to show that the peace plan for Gaza can still move forward – despite Netanyahu’s firm rejection of a new roadmap.

Hamas has agreed to give up its weapons in exchange for a phased Israeli troop withdrawal. But Israel has insisted that Hamas must fully disarm before any Israeli pullout.

It also wants any weapons that Hamas gives up to be destroyed, rather than stored by a Palestinian technocratic committee, so that Hamas cannot reclaim them.

In addition, there is opposition to Turkey and Qatar being involved in checks on whether Hamas is meeting its requirements under the deal.

Pushing Netanyahu to change his position will be an uphill struggle.

He has appeared increasingly willing to defy the US – his country’s closest ally – as his party struggles in polls ahead of October’s Israeli general election, and with members of his governing coalition pushing for a tougher strategy in Gaza.

The far-right National Security Minister, Itamar Ben-Gvir, has called for nightly “targeted eliminations” of “30 or 40” people in Gaza.

In a podcast interview with Rom Braslavski, who was taken hostage by Hamas during the 7 October attack, that aired on 15 August, Ben-Gvir said: “Not just those who pose an immediate threat – there are people there who are not worthy of life. They shouldn’t live. They’re not even people.” The comments were reported by the Associated Press, the Financial Times and the Times of Israel.

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi discuss developments in the Middle East with Jared Kushner,Image source, Getty Images

Ahead of Monday’s meeting between Kushner and Netanyahu, a Palestinian official told the BBC that Trump’s son-in-law met a delegation led by Hamas’s new leader Khalil al-Hayya in Egypt on Sunday.

In a statement, Hamas later called on mediators and the Board of Peace to “compel” Israel to approve the roadmap for the next steps.

Kushner’s meeting with Hayya is believed to be the first at this level since last year’s agreement of a ceasefire for the Gaza Strip.

Mladenov, high representative for Gaza to the Board of Peace, and Blair, a former UK prime minister, were also part of the meeting, alongside representatives of Egypt, Qatar and Turkey, which have mediated in the peace efforts.

No official statement was released on the talks, reportedly focusing on concrete actions to decommission Hamas’s weapons, as well as the withdrawal of Israeli troops and humanitarian efforts.

A source with knowledge of the meeting told CBS News, the BBC’s US partner, that the meeting’s contents included “beginning to transfer all governing responsibilities to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza, ensuring Hamas has no future governing role in Gaza, facilitating Israeli withdrawals and deploying an international stabilising force to the region”.

Also on Sunday, Egypt, UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Turkey, Pakistan and Indonesia said Israel’s rejection of the US plan threatened Trump’s peace efforts.

Following Israel’s rejection of the plan, there appeared to be a pause in Israeli airstrikes on Gaza, though attacks have still continued.

Satellite image of Gaza entitled 'Israel's earth barriers and military positions along the mapped Yellow Line'. The image is annotated with the so-called yellow line marking the area of the territory Israel's military controls. It also shows additional earth barriers, positions built since the ceasefire, positions developed since the ceasefire, and positions preexisting before the ceasefire.

The ceasefire, which came into effect on 10 October last year, remains in place.

However, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) has carried out near daily strikes since then.

More than 1,200 people have been killed since the ceasefire according to the Hamas-run health ministry, whose figures are considered reliable by the UN. Unicef says at least 300 children have reportedly been killed.

There was a lull in attacks – reportedly at the request of the US – even after Israel rejected the 15-point plan.

However, Israeli strikes have since resumed. The Israeli military said on Sunday that it had targeted Hamas and Islamic Jihad “terrorists” in Khan Younis and Nuseirat. Local medics said several people living in a tent camp in Khan Younis were injured.

Israel and Hamas accuse each other of ceasefire violations.

The war was triggered by the Hamas-led attack on southern Israel on 7 October 2023, in which about 1,200 people were killed and 251 others were taken hostage.

Israel responded to the attack by launching a military campaign in Gaza, during which more than 73,000 people have been killed, including 21,280 children, according to the territory’s health ministry.

The UN estimates that about 1.9 million people – 90% of Gaza’s population – have been displaced since the war started.

A thin, grey banner promoting the US Politics Unspun newsletter. On the right, there is an image of North America correspondent Anthony Zurcher, wearing a blue suit and shirt and grey tie. Behind him is a visualisation of the Capitol Building on vertical red, grey and blue stripes. The banner reads: "The newsletter that cuts through the noise.”

Follow the twists and turns of Trump’s second term with North America correspondent Anthony Zurcher’s weekly US Politics Unspun newsletter. Readers in the UK can sign up here. Those outside the UK can sign up here.

Hot this week

Cambridge chancellor criticises ‘racist feeding frenzy’ around Jason Arday

Jason Arday, the former University of Cambridge professor at the centre of a plagiarism row, was found dead last week.

Pocognoli ‘feels connection’ with ‘passionate’ Scotland

New Scotland boss Sebastien Pocognoli says the passionate nature of Scottish football was a key factor in his taking the job.

Topics

spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img