Double murder investigation launched over two deaths in Glasgow

This post was originally published on this site.

Double murder investigation launched over two deaths in Glasgow

Two men side by side. They are in close up. The man on the left is bald with stars tattooed on his neck. The man on the right has dark hair.Image source, Police Scotland
  • Published

A double murder investigation has been launched after two men died in Glasgow at the weekend.

The bodies of Paul Lafferty, 50, and Gary Beaton, 54, were found in a flat in Partick’s Chancellor Street about 16:40 on Sunday.

Police Scotland said it was treating the two deaths as murder and appealed for anyone with any information to come forward.

Detectives believe a knife was used during the incident.

Det Supt Cheryl Kelly, of the force’s Major Investigation Team, said: “It is vital we trace whoever is responsible and we are fully committed to doing this.”

She added a large police presence would remain in the area as the investigation continues.

The force said they were keeping an “open mind” about whether there was one killer or more than one.

Police added that officers have trawled hours of public and private CCTV footage as part of the investigation, while door-to-door enquiries are also continuing.

The last sighting of either man had been on Friday morning.

Police also said the Chancellor Street property where the bodies were found was the home of one of the victims, and that the two men knew each other.

Det Supt Kelly said: “I am appealing directly to anyone with any information, no matter how small or insignificant they feel it may be, to come forward and speak to us.

“Please do not assume that the police already know the information you have.

“We are keen to hear from anyone who knew Paul and Gary or who was in the Partick area near to Chancellor Street from Friday morning from 09:00, who saw Paul or Gary, or saw or heard anything suspicious.”

Supt Craig Brady said: “I would like to extend my sympathies to the family and friends of Paul and Gary as they try to come to terms with their loss.

“We understand the significant impact this will have on the local community and I would like to thank everyone for their help so far.”

Post-mortem examinations took place on Monday and Tuesday and confirmed the causes of death as being murder.

A major incident public portal has been launched, external as part of the investigation.

Hot this week

Inter close in on £30m deal for Liverpool’s Jones

Italian champions Inter Milan are closing in on a deal worth 35m euros (£30m) for Liverpool midfielder Curtis Jones.

Monzo down as some users unable to make card payments or transfers

The digital bank said it was "rolling out a fix and moving quickly" to get the service working again

Monzo down as some users unable to make card payments or transfers

Monzo down as some users unable to make card...

Calendly throws its hat into meeting note-taker circus

Note-taking has quickly turned into a critical part of...

Rail investigators find track defect on approach to site of Lewes derailment, initial report says

Initial findings from an RAIB investigation show an "irregularity" at the site near Lewes.

Topics

Inter close in on £30m deal for Liverpool’s Jones

Italian champions Inter Milan are closing in on a deal worth 35m euros (£30m) for Liverpool midfielder Curtis Jones.

Monzo down as some users unable to make card payments or transfers

The digital bank said it was "rolling out a fix and moving quickly" to get the service working again

Calendly throws its hat into meeting note-taker circus

Note-taking has quickly turned into a critical part of...

Rail investigators find track defect on approach to site of Lewes derailment, initial report says

Initial findings from an RAIB investigation show an "irregularity" at the site near Lewes.

PM unveils plan to get rough sleepers off streets for Christmas

Rough sleepers in England will be offered housing, in a move likened to the “Everyone In” initiative during the pandemic.

Arsenal agree £50m-plus deal to sign Villa’s Konsa

Arsenal agree a deal worth more than £50m to sign Aston Villa and England defender Ezri Konsa.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img